Saturday, February 6, 2010

Yankees and Red Sox Rivalry



The New York Yankees versus the Boston Red Sox are undoubtedly the greatest franchise rivalry in Major League Baseball and you can certainly make a case for it being the best rivalry in sports history.

The all-time season record between the two teams are 1,117-933-14 (.545 winning percentage) in favor of the Yankees. The post-season record is 11-8, also with the Yankees maintaining the upper hand.

The Yankees have the largest marginal victory in this rivalry--they won 22-1 back in June 19, 2000. There was the Boston Massacre the other year at Fenway Park, where there were multiple 20 run games that the Yankees won.

Interestingly enough, there's a couple of things to be mentioned about this rivalry: (1) Which team is the better team of this past decade?; (2) Is the rivalry less competitive?

I am a Yankees fan, so naturally I'd have biases towards claiming that Yankees have the better team of the decade--but I say this in terms of what it means to win in baseball. Unlike football, it is not as difficult to win the world series 2 out of 4 years; but to win and maintaining a post-season standard, while rebuilding over ten years is more impressive.

The Red Sox won back in 2004 as well as 2007; the Yankees won in 2000 and in 2009. Both have two world series victories this decade--but the Yankees have played in the World Series 4 times opposed the Red Sox who have reached there twice in this millennium.

In terms of whether the rivalry is less intense--it could be seen that way because as of recent history, both teams have strong rosters but there is more of sheer dominance during the games. When I think of the rivalry, I think of Zimmer going down--I think of "Who's your daddy?"--I think of the curse of the great Bambino--I think of brawls practically every series!

I don't see these occurrences anymore. The players might have gotten better, but the rivalry might be dropping off a bit.

Hopefully the battles are intensified with the newer acquisitions for each club, and maybe we'll actually see some physical confrontations; anger and pure frustration is what creates a real rivalry.

I want to see A-rod glaring at a pitcher after he gets hit, or even some dirty base-running pushes to knock the ball off a glove--it's the biggest rivalry known to sports history!

My goal for this next season is watch some Yankee-Red Sox fights--it isn't the morally right thing to want, but it's what made these teams so well known. In any sport--you could like teams and like their rivals like Nets and Knicks, same division but because both the teams are so poor, I still root for both of them. I should hate Duke because I like UNC but I enjoyed both the atmospheres. When it comes to the Red Sox, I simply hate their team because it's just a rivalry that you must despise each other.


April 4th is the opening day and the Yankees will play against the Red Sox. Will see how this year pans out...

No comments: